Earth Day Resolution Ideas
It's Earth Day 2009 and what are you going to do about it?
People the world over plan to go that extra mile for Mother Earth today by walking to work, picking up grabage and planting trees, among other things. While every little bit counts, sceptics like me can't help but wonder what people are going to change in their lives to help the planet for the other 364 days of the year.
To encourage myself to act on the earth's behalf every day and not just once a year, I've made myself a list of Earth Day resolutions.
- Stop using chemical cleaners in the home. Switch to natural, biodegradable products.
- Buy more Fair Trade certified products (coffee, chocolate, tea, sugar).
- Volunteer with a local conservation group or environmental project.
- Go meatless at least two days a week to save on CO2 emissions (and fat intake).
- Champion cutting down waste in the workplace.
- Bike or walk more often.
- Buy only recycled or FSC managed paper products.
- Spread the word about mindful living to at least one person per day.
Some changes will be easy to incorporate into my life, and some may take a little more effort, but just like with New Year's resolutions, it's all about being mindful of the resolutions and trying until you get it right.
If you're looking for something to do this Earth Day, it's as easy to get involved as making a decision to change your habits one at a time.