Solar Eclipse July 2009 Time Will Be Longest of Century

The longest solar eclipse of the century is less than 24 hours away! According to experts, the total solar eclipse taking place Wednesday, July 22, 2009, will last over 6 1/2 minutes. Total contact time will be almost 3 hours, from approximately 0h30minutes to 3h00m Universal Time (times are approximate and vary according to expert; some have contact starting as late as 0h55m and ending after 4h00m UT).

The eclipse is part of the Saros cycle, which also includes the record-setting July 1991 solar eclipse, and is the second of three eclipses to occur within a month. The other two eclipses were lunar eclipses, one of which took place on July 7, 2009, and the other of which will occur August 6, 2009.

Tomorrow's solar eclipse will not be visible in North America; it will only be seen in Southeast Asia and the Pacific, including India, Butan, Nepal, Bangladesh, China, Japan, and the Marshall Islands. Totality will be visible from many large cities, including Surat, India, and Chongqing and Shanghai, China. It will also be visible from China's Three Gorges Dam.

The next partial solar eclipse will occur in January 2010, and the next total solar eclipse is estimated for July 2010. The latter may be visible from points along the Pacific coast of South America. The next sun eclipse that will be visible from parts of North America will likely take place in 2011.

40 comments
Posted by kriis on July 28,2009 at 1:25 AM

Seeing the eclipse would have been quite spectacular!  Unfortunately I live in Canada and was unable to.. although I did see something called Northern Lights, Now I really don't know if people in say, india, china or anywhere in the southest for that matter, would actually know of them, or have ever seen them.. But the northern lights here in canada are very beautiful,  although in my area of canada (Southern Saskatchwan) they occur only once every blue moon, so what im wondering is if anyone who knows or has an idea can tell me if the eclipse on July 22, had anything what so ever to do with the Northern Lights i seen here around the same time as the eclipse took place.

I hope this reaches some one who can help me out, soo i can fulfill this little bit of interest and pondering I have.  Thank you :)

Posted by windy on July 25,2009 at 3:38 AM

haha~

i am so proud to see it

it was beautiful

now i am in China

so brilliant!

Posted by Eric Lim on July 23,2009 at 10:51 AM

The Sun took a Special Rest & Your Plan B Scenario

The Sun took a special rest on 22nd July 2009. The total sun eclipse was the longest duration during the 21st century, not to be surpassed until June 2132. It lasted a maximum of 6 minutes and 39 seconds off the coast of Southeast Asia, causing tourist interest in eastern China, India and Nepal.

This is an excellent occasion for us to reflect on the importance of getting better understanding and appreciation of the role of the Sun in our life --- it is the ultimate source of all energies available on Mother Earth. For example, petroleum and natural gas are just fossilized sun-light. All foods are stored sun-light. All hydro-electric dams are driven by rain-falls caused by sun-light. So are solar power panels, solar heaters etc. In fact, everything on Mother Earth is powered by the Sun or its kinds.

SOHO (Solar Heliospheric Observatory) (http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov ) is similarly a good source to refer to.

Incidentally, you should also get to know more about the other two SOHO elements mentioned in the SOHO Technology 3.0: (http://sohotech3.blogspot.com ) Small-Office-Home-Office and Self-Organizing Holarchi Open system, because this could be your Plan B (Business-As-Usual is Plan A) scenario for better Home / Work / Life balance, in anticipation of the forthcoming convergence of crisis of Food / Fuel / Finance etc., as illustrated in the e-document entitled "Sun, Sustainability and Salutogenesis" available free here http://tinyurl.com/7y6oga

on line.

Posted by Rita on July 22,2009 at 7:28 PM

I guess Tennesseans goin to miss it all huh, wished to have seen it.

Posted by Shady on July 22,2009 at 5:15 PM

It is spelled Christian. Not Kristian. Idiot.

Posted by Deby on July 22,2009 at 3:13 PM

thanks for info

Posted by LLCATHENS on July 22,2009 at 2:32 PM

Maryella, don't tell me your parents went to Japan just to see the eclipse.  Sounds like someone has a little too much money to spend.  Thats like a 16 hour flight for 6.5 minutes?

Posted by jman on July 22,2009 at 11:35 AM

i really wanted to see it in north america

Posted by 1998 on July 22,2009 at 9:04 AM

hey.....if you wanna see the eclipse go to YOUTUBE.the  eclipse was so damn chun.oh ya ,who ever is MAHA ,your such a nimron ...kristians dont hate muslims FYI.

Posted by Andrea on July 22,2009 at 6:26 AM

hi

Posted by psha on July 22,2009 at 5:34 AM

i was scared to death that it might happen in n.america but thank god its not happening here

Posted by ed on July 22,2009 at 4:39 AM

hoho,the great day

Posted by ed hardy on July 22,2009 at 4:39 AM
Posted by maha on July 22,2009 at 4:33 AM

i alzo wanna c.. y u cristians hate muslims

Posted by Shawn on July 22,2009 at 3:45 AM

Bummer. I wish I got to see it....OR DO I?

Posted by ezy on July 22,2009 at 2:18 AM

i m pregent of 8 months and im in chicago u s a tell me the exact time of solar eclipse.

Posted by Walter/KC on July 22,2009 at 2:02 AM

solar-shmolar. this eclipse is clearly a right wing plot by Rush & his gang to undermine Obamas' plan to switch to solar power!

Posted by kej on July 21,2009 at 11:37 PM

It was prety neat.  I was able to see about 95% coverage in Okinawa Japan.

Posted by AHSAN on July 21,2009 at 10:51 PM

IT IS VERY BEAUTIFUL SEEN

Posted by Bob on July 21,2009 at 10:34 PM

I have a friend in Shanghai and she is sending me real time pictures, and they are certainly beautiful!

Posted by Kat on July 21,2009 at 10:16 PM

I live in Hawaii.  Does anyone know if I will be able to see at least part of it?

Posted by Zia on July 21,2009 at 10:09 PM

I live in Dhaka, Bangladesh. I am just back from watching the eclipse! The moon covered the sun almost completely, the outline of the sun was like that of a crescent. Too bad the sky was covered with clouds most of the time. Waited for half an hour to see the sun coming out again, but  it remained behind the clouds.

When it started, there was somewhat a golden glow all around. I was expecting it to get pretty dark during the eclipse but it did not quite happen. The ambient light was like that of a heavily overcast day.

I want to thank you for posting this: I got the correct time from here. The local newspapers wrote the eclipse would start 6:59 am our time whereas I could see it happening around or after 7:30 am (UTC 00:30), just like it was mentioned in the news article that you put here.

Posted by David Williams on July 21,2009 at 9:19 PM

Solar eclipse is still going on. Hope it doesn't stay like this.

Posted by honlum on July 21,2009 at 9:18 PM

What will be the time for the solar eclipse to occur in Malaysia? I need to know plz...

Posted by hi on July 21,2009 at 8:34 PM

i wish i could see it i cheaked youtube and everything.

Posted by stacy on July 21,2009 at 8:34 PM

well at least you dont live in tennessee.inthe usa i will only get to see about the first quarter of the eclips the sun will set befor i get to see the whole thing

Posted by lol on July 21,2009 at 8:21 PM

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted by LDL on July 21,2009 at 6:42 PM

I would love to se it, too bad i live in US

Posted by Rose on July 21,2009 at 6:04 PM

I hope someone puts it on You Tube,,,please..

Posted by libra on July 21,2009 at 5:47 PM

i am sooooooooooo going to see the eclipse i live close to the pacific wich i mean in california this should be a cool one after all of the people should be waitig for centuries to see it

Posted by geon on July 21,2009 at 5:33 PM

deeng!!!i want to see it also but i dont have time...wheee....

Posted by neena on July 21,2009 at 5:14 PM

can we c eclips in europe

Posted by naveed on July 21,2009 at 4:43 PM

+ SAFETY FIRST: Eclipses, even partial ones, should NOT be viewed with the na-ked eye or through binoculars, a telescope, beer bottle or photographic film, as this can permanently damage the retina. Observers should use proper optical filters such as welding-goggle glass, eclipse spectacles or a solar projection kit for their telescope. The safest way to view is on television or the Internet

Source: http://www.apnimarzi.com

Posted by emmy on July 21,2009 at 3:55 PM

awesomer!!

Posted by prakash chitra on July 21,2009 at 3:08 PM

i dont get chance to see it.im missing it.

Posted by nicia on July 21,2009 at 1:44 PM

I really wanted to see it too

Posted by jony ford on July 21,2009 at 1:40 PM

i think i cant see this eclips as i am in india , i get up early morning

Posted by val on July 21,2009 at 1:02 PM

aw man im not gonna be able to see it!

Posted by maryella on July 21,2009 at 12:24 PM

my parents are going to Japan, to see the eclipse. they left at 5:00p.m. yesterday!

Posted by R A D on July 21,2009 at 11:31 AM

I love  this site! and was born on a solar eclipse...